Monday, May 9, 2011

Thing #7: Google Calendar and Evernote

GOOGLE CALENDAR: I didn't really intend to do my own post on Thing 7 today, but as I was updating my Google Calendar today, I realized it was a mess. So, I took some time out to figure out some answers to my problems. First of all, I had all my public training events in the default calendar and have been hesitant to update the calendar from my phone/iPad for fear of posting a doc appt or movie date on my public training calendar. Since I really didn't want to move all those events one by one, I dug around and found out how to move them in one fell swoop.  This post explains it. Having moved all those events, I had to change out the calendar that's embedded on my web site. That wasn't a problem.

With that done, I moved all my non-public business appts to my default calendar, combined all my personal appts and travel on another. And resisted the urge to set up even more calendars! I even remembered to double-check that only the workshop calendar was public. Only problem now, is that the Google tool to synchronize with Outlook only synchronizes the main Google calendar, I need to synchronize all of them. I need to find a solution for that - or give up on Outlook for good. But I still like the way Outlook prints a paper calendar that I can scribble on. Yes, paper and ink. How old-skool of me.

EVERNOTE:  I love Evernote (but then you knew that already). But the one thing that frustrated me was not being able to take a screenshot of a piece of a webpage and immediately store it in Evernote. When I see things I want to use in a presentation, I want to grab it before I forget about it, get the screenshot, the URL and write some quick notes and move on. Then all that stuff is waiting for me in a folder in EN when I get around to updating/creating the presentation. So, silly me, EN has a very nice screenshot feature and it was sitting there on the task bar of my browser all the time. I'd just never taken the time to look for that feature before. Doh!!! So if you install the Evernote browser tools, right click on the little icon in the task bar and select "show clipping panel". Now I'm feeling really curious and wondering what else I might be missing.

2 comments:

  1. Hummm-that sounded kind of like my wanting to use Flickr to record good ideas I see for the future of things I might want to use/do. Is Evernote able to store pictures too? Or just notes? Seemed since you mentioned screenshots (can you tell I've never used this?) I wasn't sure...That is what I am looking for-one that has capabilities to do all and store it in one place. I think somethings may work for me that may not for others,like yourself, since I don't think I have quite the volume and variety of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evernote does store photos too. notes, photos, screenshots and more. Really handy!

    ReplyDelete