Friday, April 15, 2011

Thing 3: Photo Sharing

Posted by Picasa
Since I'm so familiar with Flickr, I decided to challenge myself a bit and take a better look at Picasa, both the online photo album service and the desktop software.  I've had the desktop software installed for a long time, though I haven't used it as much as I could.

Two features that I love are the collage making option and the face recognition feature. The collages are simple to create (once you remember where the option is!) and are a great way to make visuals for presentations. Or just pretty collages of spring flowers. :)

The face recognition stuff is kind of amazing to me. It's so darned smart about picking up who's in your photos, even when someone's face has changed a lot over time. I had to laugh when it even picked out a face that was in a photo hanging on the wall in a photo that I'd taken in someone's living room!

Picasa has terrific options for organizing photos, adding tags to index them and editing tools. Naturally, being a Google tool, it has an option to upload photos to Blogger, which is how I posted the collage above. But even better, for us Flickr addicts, you can send photos to Flickr as well. This article explains how.

I also took another look at the online photo storage service also and scouted around to find the features that  are similar to familiar Flickr features. I won't be switching my loyalties from Flickr though, I have too much time and energy invested in building a community of friends and colleagues there.

1 comment: